venerdì 12 maggio 2017

Pasticcio di verdure e lenticchie


I am not a vegetarian but I eat less meat than I used to. I do not feel like having beef any longer. I find it heavy to digest. I'd rather eat chicken or fish, once a week. Sometime lamb, preferably stewed. That's it. Eggs, cheese and pulses are always welcome on my table. I definitely feel better, for myself and for our planet,  and I am not the only one. 
My clients in my cooking courses keep on asking me for new vegetarian recipes to refresh their repertoire. Pulses are the most wanted.
Here is my last creation.



In the Portobello vegetable market I found the first round aubergines of the season. My favourite ones, so sweet and fleshy. I paired them with small white courgettes and small brown lentils from Umbria, braised with onion and chopped tomatoes. 


I separately cooked the aubergine and the courgettes, as I wanted to keep their different texture. I combined them with the lentils at the very end.

Pasticcio di verdure e lenticchie

1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
140 g small brown lentils
200 g tin chopped tomatoes
1 round aubergine (500 g)
4 small courgettes (250 g)
2 tablespoons oregano
A good handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper
Extra virgin oil
250 g ricotta to serve


Serves 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes


1. Trim, quarter and slice the courgettes. 


2. Trim and dice the aubergine.

3. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the onion on low heat with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes.

4. Stir in the lentils and cook for 1 minute.

5. Pour in 300 ml of boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, covered.

6. Incorporate the tomatoes; stir and keep on simmering for another 10 minutes, covered. Adjust the seasoning.

7. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté the aubergine with a good pinch of salt and the oregano for 10 minutes, on medium heat, stirring frequently. Set aside.

8. In the same frying pan, heat another tablespoon of oil and sauté the courgettes with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Set aside.

9. Stir the aubergine and the courgettes into the lentils and cook for few minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.

10. Add the parsley and leave to cool a bit.

11. Serve warm, with dot of ricotta on top.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento